"Most really pretty girls have pretty ugly feet, and so does Mindy Metalman, Lenore notices all of a sudden" This is from the book The Broom of the System, which was published in 1987 by David Foster Wallace. He was born on February 21, 1962 and died on September 12, 2008.
"I found this book terribly disappointing. The writing is overbearing and many of the characters go on long rants that feel like the thinly-veiled (and not particularly profound) philosophizing of the author. In fact, one of the characters in the book is critiquing a work of fiction and says, "...it tends to be hideously self-conscious. Mordantly cynical. Or, if not mordantly cynical, then simperingly naive. Or at any rate consistently, off-puttingly pretentious...It tries too hard, is really all we can say about most of it. There is simply an overwhelming sense of trying too hard." This is just such an apt description of The Broom of the System. I'm sure DFW knew that, which frustrates me--if he worried about being self-conscious, how could he allow himself to insert a passage like that into the text? I do not think this succeeds as a work of fiction. It is very funny at times, and his style provides a perpetually exhilarating exploration of what can be done with words. I just can't help but feel that so much of who these characters are and what they say to each other are driven by self-loathing and insecurity--by parts of DFW that he might have been better off working to let go of instead of so fully investigating. On page 342, one character says, "Perhaps what most of us perceive as the centers of ourselves are simply no longer needed. And we both know that the absence of function, in nature, means death." I felt reading that passage and many others a depression that I almost did not want to indulge by continuing to read."
This was a review by Stephen, http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/466019049. As you can see, he did not like the book one bit.
This is a summary I found of the book online http://www.nytimes.com/books/97/03/16/reviews/wallace-r-broom.html
This book I guess is about a girl named Lenore, she is very smart, and works as a receptionist


This is good...you might add info for the closing line, too, for full points. Would you be interested in either book?
ReplyDelete